Sunday, September 20, 2009

Update from the Jenkins house!

I apologize for taking so long to update you all like I had promised. I have been very busy with family coming into town, friends of my dad visiting, and dealing with the emotional roller coaster of this whole mess.

For those of you who do not know, my dad was diagnosed with very advanced brain cancer on Tuesday of this week. He had kidney cancer nine years ago and underwent surgery and treatment and it has come back with vengeance. . .this time in the brain. He has been acting strange for the past few months--very sleepy, non-engaging and impatient. We didn't know what was going on because these are very uncharacteristic behaviors of my dad. We thought maybe he had some sort of a chemical imbalance going on that was causing symptoms similar to depression. Turns out, we were wrong.

There isn't anything the doctors can do that would leave my dad in a state worth living in. We are enjoying our time together as a family and need all the prayers we can get. We have experienced such a generous out pouring of love from our dear friends and family members. It is overwhelming to think just how many people know and love our dad, and how many people he has touched throughout his life.

I withdrew from school for the semester and will continue back when I can. I am not sure when that will be right now... but it will happen sometime. BYU has been great in helping me get out of my classes, I hope I can get out of my housing contract as well... oh well. I have other things to worry about. Jesse came home and will be here for a few days. It will be hard when he leaves. We don't really know what the future hold for our family but we are blessed to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives and we know that families are forever. We will live with our father and our Father again someday. That day will be a great day.

Right now I am just trying to help out as best as I can. I am taking care of all my dad's medications and funny demands. The other night when he was still in the hospital, he called at 2 a.m. asking where is razor was. Then he called back at 4 a.m. asking for an egg mcmuffin with cheese. He never ceases to crack us up. He makes us smile and laugh all the time.

I will write again soon just to keep everyone updated. Right now things are great. We have a window here where 'the elevator is going almost all the way to the top.' Not sure when this will end, but we consider it our gift and will cherish it forever.






19 comments:

  1. I love you and your family! The gospel certainly does help calm our souls in troubled times like this. Let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not imagine what your family is going through right now. I hate to think of the inevitable and I admire your strength! You are an amazing girl and we love you all. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Please let me know if you need anything done out here in Utah. I'm happy to help in anyway I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Elizabeth, I am balling for you. And I am super amazed at your attitude about this whole thing. You are seriously such an example. I'm so so so sorry about your dad. I hope that you are doing well. Thank goodness for the gospel and the promises of an eternal family. Miss you and think about you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizzy I am thinking about you guys all the time. You are a very strong and faithful family and the Lord doesn't give us anything we can't handle. I love you guys so much and am so grateful for all of you. I am glad you went home for the time being. I love you so much and am thinking and praying for you guys all the time. Enjoy this special time with your family!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth!!! i am so sorry to hear this! please let me know if there is anything i can do. i will keep you in my prayers. TeamJenkins is strong! Nothing can break the bond of an eternal family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for what your sweet family is going through right now. I can't even begin to imagine what it is like for you, but I want to let you know that you and your wonderful family will be in my prayers. I love you guys, and I will especially be thinking of you tonight when Donny goes out and dances!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth it was really good to see you Sunday! You are such a sweet girl who has such a strong spirit! I have such a great love for your dad and will always hold a special place in my heart for him. I am so glad we have the knowledge of eternal families and to know you will be reunited with your dad someday. Keep being strong, especially for your mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this blog post. i love you and can got beat up the housing office for you if you want:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your comments!!! Love you all!!! It is so great to see all my dear friends rally for me and my family. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are thinking about your family and will remember them in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. =[
    I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.
    I'm so glad you guys have the gospel too, and the peace it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing. I am so sorry to hear about your dad and will keep him and your family in my prayers. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Know that we are praying for miracles here in Seattle. And I'll be sure to put him on the Temple prayer role. When my wife lost her eyesight and was diagnosed with MS, she called every single temple in the United states and had them put her on the prayer role. It only took her a couple of hours but it was very worth it. Her ambition sometimes just makes me laugh. Anyways, just an idea;-) Keep smiling Elizabeth, and know that you and your family are Loved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so proud of you and your amazing attitude, really Elizabeth you are amazing. Glad to hear that BYU worked with you in withdrawing from the semester. I'm sure that you are the best nurse your Dad could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elizabeth, You are so strong! I will be praying for you and your family. Know that I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't think of a better person to have around during a diffulct time than you. If you even need anything don't hesitate to call and know that you are in my thoughts. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

THEME