Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hello Hello

To be completely honest, I have been avoiding writing an update. Dad seems to be doing just OK. These last couple days have been hard as he has had nausea, headaches, and he can't keep much down. Today was a little bit better because he was able to eat some shrimp tacos from his favorite Mexican food place, and even some See's candy. As the "Pill Nazi", I take care of all the medications. He calls me the Pill Nazi because I don't take "no" for an answer. I have to bribe him with See's candy just to get him to open his mouth sometimes, but I like my job. I believe my official title is Pharmacy Benefits Manager. Sounds so important huh? My other duties include opening the window, closing the window, restarting the CD, getting water, getting See's candy, KFC, McDonalds, and whatever else he wants.

We are so blessed to have such great family members. Just here in Reno alone we have a crew of people on call to come at a moments notice should we need something. My Aunt Carol (an RN) and Uncle Nate (Dad's brother) have been wonderful to us. They sure have been an amazing support to us. We also have an unlimited supply of great friends here that are also equally willing to help out. We call on them frequently and I know this sounds lame and cliche but i REALLY don't know what we would do without them all.

Bradley (dad's cousin) came into town over last weekend. That was fun, despite the circumstances (I say that a lot). I always love when Bradley comes to town. He didn't bring Kendal and Izzy this time which made me sad, but I'm sure we will see them soon. Bradley and my dad have always had a really good relationship. That has trickled down to us kids. We have loads of funny stories about Brad doing crazy things. So many in fact that I could probably have a whole other blog just dedicated to all the fun times.

Some other friends have come into town over the past week or so and it's great to hear stories about my dad in college, law school, and so on. He sure is amazing. He has so many good friends and I think that is because of 2 reasons. 1. He is really funny and everyone just automatically loves him, and 2. He is a really good friend to everyone he meets. Even to people who may have wronged him. He is very forgiving, loving and charitable to everyone he meets. When he was diagnosed, I heard someone say "this is hard because we all think we are his best friend!" It is true. You all are really his best friend because he wouldn't think of anyone as less than that.

Dad seems like he is getting more headaches and more nausea. He gets really tired and nauseated when he has to talk or listen to conversations. He still laughs and jokes when he feels like it though, so that is good. He will still tell a funny story when he can.

I don't know if there is much else to say. I guess I will check back in in a few days...

Love love love!

Oh, also, in my home24/7-ness, I got behind on what is hip and missed the coolifying of the band Owl City. It wasn't until about a week ago that a friend helped me discover them. I literally got out of bed at 2 a.m. and danced to a few songs with headphones. I'm sure, had someone seen, they would have called 911 immediately to report a deranged idiot freaking out in silence. It was fun...

Also at the moment, all my clean clothes are in my hamper and all my dirty clothes are in my laundry basket. How in the...? Life is awesome.


Please comment! I LOVE Comments!

Grrr. Attack of the Angel fish!

10 comments:

  1. Your dad seems awesome. He is so lucky to have such a caring daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you weren't naked when you were dancing with your blinds open....I'm just saying! =)

    I love you! Give your family the best to me. Tell your Dad I said hello. I pray for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Lizzy even at the worst of times you and your family seem to find a way to laugh!! You guys are amazing and you get to do the most important job. I love you so much. Remember that the Lord is holding you very close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are basically amazing. Your dad is lucky to have you as a daughter and I am lucky to have you as a friend. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see you as a pill-nazi. (I don't mean that to sound bad! I just mean I can see you not taking "no" for an answer, like you said...)

    And Owl City is pretty cool--I'm just getting into them, too. I've seen then described as people who got tired of waiting for a new Postal Service album and formed their own group.

    Keep Rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty you are incredible, and so is your dad. I'm sure you will look back at this unique and special time you have to spend so much time with him and really get to know him and be so grateful. I love love love you! Keep being the worlds best daughter =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I miss you Lizzy! Your strength is such an inspiration to me. Your father is an amazing man, who has an amazing daughter. I don't know if I ever told you this, but I remember that the Lizzy McGuire movie came out in the theaters when I was serving there, and you told me how much you loved it. You also had the soundtrack and I remember you telling me how much you loved that. Well shortly after Matt and I got married, we got that movie all because I remember how much you loved it. We also loved it so much that we actually bought it, and I bought the soundtrack too! Now whenever I see a rerun of that show or come across that soundtrack in my old cds, I am reminded of you and your ultra wonderful self! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth- you don't know me- but you said you like comments- so here it goes! I LOVE your brother Jesse's family- we are down here with them- so I feel like I know you guys! We love being with your family down here and are praying for your entire family in this rough time. PS I want you to come and visit us ASAP! and my name is Elizabeth too- so we are best friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty!!!! Oh how I love owl city! Im so glad you have been introduced to his wonderfulness. It is under my playlist 'lets get happy'! Im glad you are enjoying your job as the pill nazi! Miss You

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love owl city too! i can just see you dancin in the middle of the night haha, remember walking to campus listening to 'walkin on walkin on broken glass'? it's been fun to hear more about the man who has helped you become the awesome person you are, you two sounds a lot alike.

    ReplyDelete

THEME