Sunday, December 20, 2009
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Monday, November 2, 2009
I am thoroughly convinced that holidays are infinitely more amazing with little kids around. When I was a kid, I loved holidays, lived for them even. While often times my reasons for liking certain holidays are totally unrelated to the real reasons for the holiday, I can't help but love everything about the special days we set aside each year to reflect on our love for our friends, family members, country, freedom, and more. While I have always been a proponent of holidays, Halloween is probably close to being number 2 on my list of faves. Over the past 8 years or so, I have been battling with an internal struggle that I think I have found the solution to. When you are sadly too old to go trick-or-treating, and too young to go out partying, what are you supposed to do? Sit home and knit? Well, luckily or me, the majority of my time spent in this limbo was when I was at BYU. People like to have parties, watch scary movies, eat candy corn, but nothing that I would consider to be as fun as trickery.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
- 1 Teaspoon honey (warmed)
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Drops of Olive oil
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Monday, September 7, 2009
As you can probably tell, I am partial to lists. I love them and can't do anything without one. This is a list I made in the event that I am bored. I am making it available to the world because I oppose boredom. Enjoy.
- Public Library
- Museum of Peoples and Cultures
- Take Pictures and edit them
- Go to the temple
- Spray paint stencil-pictures
- Hammock party
- Dress like a biker and go on a scooter ride
- Make homemade smoothies
- Bake a cake and doorbell ditch it
- Watch the Office
- Make a music video
- Make Clay pots
- Flower Bomb some cars
- Make a chalk target and throw stuff at it from the top of a tall building
- Water game-Like beer pong but with water
- Go to an art gallery
- Styrofoam telephones like 1989
- Finger-paint with pudding
- Invent a new game
- Four square tournament
- Make up a dance and perform it in a public place and work the crowd
- Play “Who's that” in a restaurant
- Burn things with a magnifying glass
- See how many licks it takes to get to the center of the tootsie pop
- Write a song about being bored and perform it for a random apartment
- Have a pic-nic in your front room
- Put on as many clothes as possible and take pictures
- Make a tire swing
- Climb Trees
- Flip coins into the ASB or JSB fountain
- Put soap in a fountain
- Double dutch
- Bottle cap hockey with pens as the stick
- Popsicle stick puppet show
- Change your message machine
- See how many fast food workers you can confuse
- Hypnotic cliff jumping
- Dye hair
- Tube down the river
- Ultimate spoons
- Make toothbrush bracelets
- Make a pinata
- Press flowers
- Make ice cream
- Hide in a bush by the Botany Pond and scare people
- Throw water balloons at canoodling couples in the park
- Learn to play the harmonica
- Make chili and invite friends over to eat it
- Make a torch and burn stuff
- Go fishing
- Pool Hop
- Shopping cart races
- Dress up like hicks and go to Demolition Derby
- Shave a word in someone's back or chest hair
- Get a facial
- Freeze things with liquid nitrogen
- Buy live baby chickens and raise them
- Sew a quilt or pillowcase
- Invent new food combinations
- Make a fort
- Melt records into bowls
- Have a Lemonade stand
- Find a stray dog or cat and keep it for a day then return it
- Make a match head bomb in a tennis ball
- Light Artillery shells
- Ultimate hop-scotch
- Shaving cream sculptures
- Banana split party
- Put live gold fish in someone’s bathtub.
- Progressive dinner
- Explode a watermelon with M-80s
- Stage a ninja fight and afterward pass out cards saying we will perform at birthday parties
- Cheap Theater
- Make sock puppets
- Play the Wal-mart game
- Human Statues in the park
- Kiss in the rain
- Puddle jump
- Make an instrument
- Write a limerick
- Make a paper press
- Gallon Challenge
- Talk with a lithp
- Sharpen carrots and stab people
- Fake sneeze on people
- Fake run into doors
- Spin around really fast while staring at your shoe then try to jump over it
- Make popcorn balls
- Make cup cakes and hide secret messages on paper in them
- Cup cake cones
- Saran wrap everything in your roommates’ room
- Write a letter to Santa and mail it.
- Breath fire by spitting powdered sugar on a lit match.
- Put Mentos in a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke
- Hang-glide over the Swiss Alps in Switzerland
- Take Trapeze lessons
- Kiss under the Eiffel Tower in Paris
- Make a wish in the Trevi Fountain in Rome
- Ride in a Hot Air Balloon
- Slide down a mud slide in Guilin
- Play Ping Pong in China
- See Wicked
- Pet a sheep in New Zealand
- Milk a goat
- Meet the Prophet
- Eat a fortune cookie in Hong Kong
- See the Sacred Grove
- Watch a performance at Carnegie Hall in NYC
- Eat a hot dog in Central Park
- Pose with a wax celebrity at a wax museum
- Swim in the Atlantic Ocean
- Snorkel at a white sand beach
- Snorkel at a black sand beach
- Hold an octopus on the Great Barrier Reef
- Catch a firefly
- Buy something at Harrod’s
- Learn to Kite Surf
- Pick a coconut
- Send away for more pages to my passport
- Visit the land of my ancestors and eat pizza
- Go to Africa
- Be a bee keeper
- Learn to sail
- Run a race longer than 5K
- See the Terracotta Warriors
- Ride an elephant
- Kiss a dolphin
- Weigh 130
- Learn how to say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious backwards
- Learn another language
- Graduate from college
- Learn to play the piano
- Take Avery to Disneyland
- Jump on a trampoline, again
- Ride my scooter over the BYU bridges
- Learn to make real Italian food
- Meet Donny Osmond
- Run a marathon
- Perform the Hoedown Throwdown
- Fish in the Atlantic ocean
- Train my tongue to do that clover thing
- Get a Vita Mix
- Go spear fishing in the Caribbean
- Surf in Australia
- Eat fish and chips in New Zealand
- See Death Cab in concert
- Paint an old chair with ZEBRA
- Go back to 21 Choices
- Ride a Ducati 1098...tri color.
- Buy and Honda Rebel
- Go horse back ridding down the Grand Canyon
- Visit Nepal
- Go to Tibet and buy Tibetan prayer flags
- Dye my hair blonde, again
- Go camping
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Here, you see a depiction of a normal Scale of Attractiveness. You are, I am sure, not wholly unfamiliar with this scale as it is a rather common assessment of beauty.
Here you see two adult people of "Average Hotness", both a "5" on the scale in the normal, everyday world. In this normal, everyday world, the ratio of single men to single women is pretty much 1:1. There are as many single men as their are single women.
This ratio does not hold true for the Mormon community, however. Since men tend to drift away from the teachings of the LDS church at a higher rate than women, the ratio of men to women skews a bit, becoming 1:2 or even 1:3 or 4 in some areas of the country.
In an area where there are 3 or 4 Mormon women to ever 1 Mormon man, the balance of power is thrown off. All of a sudden, men who would otherwise get no attention from women become desired commodities, merely because the demand is so high on the limited supply. How does this affect our scale?
Emily K. suggests that, because of the abundance of women, a Mormon woman will move down two points on the scale of attractiveness, while a Mormon man will move up two points. Two people who used to be equals are now 4 levels of attractiveness away from each other.
This movement on the scale causes women of normal attractiveness to consider themselves fugly, impeding their ability to make wise dating decisions. It also inflates the ego of average mormon men into thinking they are more of a catch than they truly are.
Here is another example. Average man sees Beautiful Woman. In the Regular world, he would think her out of his league.
In the Mormon world, since they each slide, they are now considered equals, while Average Man's actual equal, Average Woman, is left down in the "3" range with men that could have started at a Fugly "1" on the scale.
You can scoff at this theory all you want. But, I'm telling you that I've seen it in action. Look around you at church--notice that average men are hooking up with women WAY out of their league all over the place. How many times have I had to listen to my thin, beautiful friends at church cry because none of the ugly guys at church give them even the slightest romantic attention? Every size 8 Mormon woman thinks she's fat. All the women are insecure and all the men have ridiculously high opinions of themselves.
This female insecurity leads my fellow mormon women to act in the most juvenile of ways. There is constant scheming to, not only attract male attention their way (through baked goods or dinner parties), but also put down all women around them (this is obviously not true of ALL Mormon women, but it IS a VERY common phenomenon).
Emily's full theory includes extra-notch-up-moving for men who went on missions or hold a high position at church--but, I'm going to exclude that aspect of the theory for now to let you all respond. Oh, I know you have a response.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
UPDATE: TechCrunch is reporting that Apple has pulled the app from its App Store, stating, “it appears someone over at Cupertino [has] ultimately decided to reject the first such app.” However, the removal of the app is only a temporary one, according to the app’s developer, who states the he made the decision to stop distributing the app himself.
Allen Leung, developer of Hottest Girls, posted on his web site that his app is “temporarily sold out” due to overload on his image server.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!
Friday, March 13, 2009
Utah Tap :: Glass Half Full from Mike Morris on Vimeo.
Utah Tap TV Spot from Mike Morris on Vimeo.
Utah Tap :: Here's to the World from Mike Morris on Vimeo.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Want to learn more about proper twitter etiquette? Check out this great article: HERE