Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why does transportation hate me?

I don't know what the deal is but recently the transportation gods have had me on their "S" list. I don't really know what I did to get such bad karma, but apparently I did something...and if you are sitting in your chair thinking "well, you did this and this and this...then you can cram it.

It all started when I decided to move to the great state of Utah...which I lovingly refer to as Jewtah. Two days after arriving, my 2000 Isuzu Trooper's transmission went out. Incase you don't know, they don't sell those at the dollar store-the only place I can shop these days. I decided to just sell the trooper for what it was worth without fixing it. Within seconds of posting it on KSL, I had so many mexicans calling me that after an hour I felt like I was qualified to work at Beto's. I sold it to a man who was like 50 years old and a couple weeks after the deal, he called me. I was sure he wanted his money back, or wanted to undo the deal, but no....he wanted much more than that...a date. I don't think so old man. How about you ask my mom out?

During this whole car fiasco, I went home to Reno to get Norm and my Dad's car since mine was on the fritz and no one was using the Expedition. Geoff drove his Saab to Reno so I caught a ride with him. We made it through the Carlin Tunnels when the fuel pump went out. I had never been stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I was glad to be with Geoff. We had a fun time in Elko with the tow truck driver Ken and his little doggy Tough. Dear sweet Max McCombs, Geoff's dad, drove all the way from Reno to rescue us from certain death. When it was time to leave Reno a few days later Geoff and his friend Meredith, Norm and I all piled in and drove to Utah.

The expedition lasted a good few weeks when all of the sudden, the battery dies. It is currently parked in front of my house... I am thinking about calling some of those Mexicans that called me about the Trooper and see if they will come snag it... (Don't think for one second that I am a racist. I am a race-ologist. duh)

Patti Tartaglia got married this weekend in Reno and I was one of her bridesmaids (that makes like 3135624234 bridesmaid dresses I have hanging in various closets between SLC and Reno.) Wednesday night, after my last college lecture of ALL TIME, I was supposed to board a train to go from SLC to Reno..well the train got derailed. Yes, derailed... that still happens... we can cure small pox and polio, but we can't keep trains on their tracks... Anyhoozles, so I had to buy a ticket at the last minute to make it to the rehearsal dinner on time. This was my first non-mormon wedding adventure. It was so FUN. Her family is all really close and they had an open bar so people were even more interesting. I limited myself to two shirley temples...which I think was responsible...

Saturday night I went to look at cars. Not to really buy one, but just to kinda get an idea of what I wanted. I thought I would want a Honda Fit, but after test driving it, my mind changed... It was super loud inside, and over priced. The used ones they had were all banged up and scratched and I wasn't going to pay 20,000 for a car that looked like it was worth 5. After talking to the salesmen for a while, I decided I was done looking and we started to walk out. My mom spotted a 2009 Hyundai Accent and asked if I was interested. I thought to my self, Hyundai makes cars for old men. Then, I took a closer look. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was cute and fit my needs and my budget. It also came with a 10yr 100k mile warranty. I made an offer and they accepted it, and that was that...so I thought.

The next morning, I started driving back to Utah because I had work and a final Monday. I made it to Winnemucca when my check engine light came on. Those blasted lights are probably the cause of more stomach ulcers than anything else. Immediately my stomach fell out of my butt and I was so sad, mad, and just frustrated. I had had it with crappy lemons and thought I had finally found something that was going to last me a LONG time. I pulled into an Auto Zone and the kid came out and checked out why my light was on. He looked at me and said "uhh you might want to take this one back" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So, I called mother bear and she called the Honda Dealership where I bought the car and she gave them a piece of her mind. I turned around, drove to Reno and went straight to the dealership after rendezvousing with my mom in a nearby parking lot. I called my boss, and my professor to reschedule my final, and to find out what to do about work. They were both very accommodating. When we pulled up we got the royal treatment. THAT'S RIGHT! They took the car and had it fixed for me the very next day. I still don't really know what was wrong with the car, but I left Reno at 4:45 am this morning and made it here by 1:00 with no problems. I hope it continues to be a good car for me. It is really cute. I think I will skip breakfast everyday for a week as a fast that my car wont break on me.

So yeah, that is my recent transportation luck... I dare you to share your transportation horror stories in the comments section BELOW.


2 comments:

  1. Well we recently discussed my transportation adventures, which involved me being Life Flighted, which I'm pretty sure qualifies me for good car karma for life. Mechanically it's been good, but as we speak my 2004 Acura MDX is having the seats redone since they decided to shred into a million pieces (the car is only 6 years old!!!!!!). I can live with that though, since it doesn't leave me stranded in random places. Hope this new car holds up for you like a champion!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last summer I was driving to SLC and my check engine light comes on and my car is smoking and the temp gauge is in the red. So I pull off get towed back to Provo. We think it the the water pump but Brent Brown tells me my radiator is just clogged. They charge me around $400 to fix it. fast forward a week. I'm driving to CA with my boyfriend, sister and brother in law when about 30 miles outside Vegas... the check engine light flips on, the engine is smoking and the temp is in the red. We continue on to CA stopping every few hours to put water in the radiator. I then drive 8 hours doing this to NorCal and then 10 hours back to Utah. Where I go into Brent Brown again and guess what! it's the water pump! Thanks guys! So another $400 dollars. fast forward a few months. I'm headed to Vegas for a wedding reception, we are barely going to make it there in time when I look down and the temp is in the red! (mind you this is within 5 miles of where I overheated the last time.) It took over 10 hours to get from Vegas back to Provo because I had to stop every 25 miles or so to refill the radiator with water. When I took it to Brent Brown this time I was pretty livid. Then I got to replace my radiator another $400 or so. Also, if they had just seen that as the problem the first time my radiator would have still been under warrenty. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete

THEME